Never stand between a glutton and a plate heaped high with greasy pork, or you might have to listen to sanctimonious sniveling like this:
Even as the nation staggers toward bankruptcy under the crushing weight of government spending, Christie demands passage of $60.4 BILLION “Sandy Relief” package that consists largely of frivolous pork:
• $150 million for fisheries as far away from the storm’s path as Alaska.
• $125 million for the Department of Agriculture’s Emergency Watershed Protection program, which helps restore watersheds damaged by wildfires and drought.
• $20 million for a nationwide Water Resources Priorities Study.
• $15 million for NASA facilities, though NASA itself has called its damage from the hurricane ‘minimal.’
• $50 million in subsidies for tree planting on private properties.
• $336 million for taxpayer-supported AMTRAK without any detailed plan for how the money will be spent.
• $5.3 billion for the Army Corps of Engineers — more than the Corps’ annual budget — with no statement of priorities about how to spend the money.
• $12.9 billion for future disaster mitigation activities and studies, without identifying a single way to pay for it.
These days every tragedy is vastly magnified by bureaucrats exploiting it to steal our money and/or quash our liberties.
On tips from Ghost of FA Hayek.